Welcome to the UK Metric Association web site
The UK Metric Association (UKMA) is an independent, non-party political, single issue organisation which advocates the full adoption of the international metric system (“Système International” – SI) for all official, trade, legal, contractual and other purposes in the United Kingdom as soon as practicable. We also campaign for better consumer protection through accurate and consistent use of metric units of measurement in order to achieve price transparency.
On our web site you will find the following information:
- accurate information to explain the metric system and to correct misunderstandings and debunk myths
- a demonstration of how the metric system is much easier to use than obsolete imperial
- practical help for people unaccustomed to metric
- correct use of metric units and symbols, including the UKMA Measurement Units Style Guide to explain correct metric usage
- an explanation of why it is in Britain’s interest to complete the changeover to the international metric system as soon as possible
- what you can do to help the UK to complete its metric transition
- responses to public consultations
- sources and references for researchers and journalists
It’s time to move on
Measurement affects us all when we work, buy food, fill up the car with petrol, weigh ourselves, go for a medical check-up, buy a property, go out for a drink, go for a walk or tend the garden. Modern Britain needs the best set of measures available.
Survey exposes the failure of measurement policy in the UK
See our new report “Still a Mess” analysing the results of a new survey commissioned by UKMA.